Sorry, again for the no-posting situation I have a few outfits lined up so posting should be back on track from now on. Since summer is slowly slipping away I’m trying to pack in all the warm weather outfits before the temperature drops. After being obsessed with Maxi skirts earlier this year I haven’t really worn mine much this summer. But I have to say they’re super fun. You just feel super feminine in them and kinda fancy, I think it’s the long length. Either way I’ll definitely be wearing more maxi’s from now on! I would have worn a statement necklace with this but I was going for casual and I just thought the necklace I had in mind seemed a little too dressy. That said I really like the simplicity of the outfit.
Finally the always lovely Beth from The Fashionable Adventures of Bethie the Boo gave me a Liebster award forever ago but due to my impromptu I never did it. The Liebster award “is given to upcoming bloggers who have 200 followers or less. The meaning of Liebster in German is sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing and welcome”.
The rules for the award:
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves
2. Answer the question the tagger set for you plus create 11 questions for the people you’ve tagged to answer.
3. Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
4. Go to their page and tell them.
5. No tag backs.
1. I’m not real crafty. I like to do art stuff but I don’t really do it much. I’m really into papier mache and if the craft is easy enough i’d be down to do it, but generally I’m not very crafty. I sort of realized this while looking through DIY/ Craft-ish blogs and looking at the stuff people do and thinking ” meh looks like too much work.” Maybe I should just say I’m a lazy crafter.
2. I suck at makeup. Though ocassionally I do attempt to wear makeup it’s not an everyday thing for me, mostly because I’ve never taken the time to actually be good at it. In middle and highschool my friends never were into makeup so I just never forced myself to learn. Now i’m just lazy, though I always say sometime I’ll actually learn. maybe.
3. I love to dance. I took dance lessons, ballet for a little while but mostly Tap and Jazz, from 3rd to 12th grade. This also means there are far too many embarrassing pictures of me in dance costumes and this is part of the reason I had (until recently) an aversion to sequins (too many scratchy dance costumes).
4. If I was any animal I’d probably be a cat. I was actually asked “if you were any animal what would you be and why?” in an interview once and immediately thought cat. I think I just have more of a cat personality, I like to socialize and be friendly but sometimes I just want to be left alone. Plus who doesn’t want to get take naps whenever they feel like it?
5. I’m a crier. Yes I’ll admit it, ever since high school my hormones make me cry at the most ridiculous sentimental moments. If there’s a touching moment during a tv show, movie etc I’ll probably shed a tear, or at least try to blink one away. I don’t like it, mainly because while my body is crying i’m thinking “seriously? I’m crying at this?”, but it still happens. Anyway I’ve begrudgingly accepted it. I’ve heard after giving birth some women get even more emotional, which means if I ever give birth I’ll be a total mess afterward.
6. I was never an athlete (I took dance that’s about as athletic as it got) but I love to watch figure skating and gymnastics, even when it’s not the Olympics. I think that’s probably why i like the Olympics, all the sports I’m actually into get the spotlight.
7. I still love cartoons. I have a weekly DVR time for both Adventure Time and Regular show, I love Scooby Doo and am a sucker for 90’s cartoons. Somethings from childhood just seem to stick, I guess. Plus who doesn’t like Adventure Time, it’s mathmatical!
8. My favorite book, so far, is Beloved by Toni Morrison, she’s also my favorite author. She even spoke at my freshman commencement in college, It was super cool.
9. One day I want to take a road trip down route 66 and see all the cool kitchy sites and stay in the kitchy old hotels.
10. I’m not a gleek. I tried so hard to like Glee. I watched most of the second season etc. I just can’t get into it. On paper it’s perfect, but something about it just doesn’t get me. Maybe it’s because I was friends with real theater nerds in high school, maybe it’s just way too self aware for me. Whatever it is I just can’t get into it.
11. My biggest pet peeve is smacking/talking with your mouth full. I don’t know why it bothers me but I just find it gross. I can sometimes ignore it if i’m in a really good mood but most of the time it kills me.
Blackberry . When I was abroad my host family had kind of a sweet tooth and we occasionally went out for ice cream. Most of the ice cream there is more like sorbet then like the ice cream here in the states, which was fine with me since I love sorbet. Anyway they had a lot of cool flavors some of the best being chocolate and coconut, but blackberry was definitely my favorite.
Everywhere, If I had unlimited funds. But if I had to choose one place it would probably be Cuba. I wanted to study abroad there but there’s only one program in the US that goes there and you have to go to that college to be eligible. I just find Cuba kind of fascinating, It’s culture and history all intrigue me, and I would love to go and visit. Hopefully someday soon the US will end the stupid embargo and I can go legally from the US and not have to stop in Canada or Mexico first. But even if the embargo is never repealed I’m totally going, someday.
My perfect day off would probably include a road trip to some town/place I’ve never been to, exploring the local flavor and, of course, a little antiquing/thrifting.
Reality TV. I love it a lot. I watch so much bad TV it’s almost embarrassing, almost. I’ve probably seen every episode of every housewife franchise ever, yea I’m serious. I should really be more ashamed of that then I am but what can I say? I like bad TV, it’s my thing.
Spring. When I was a kid I used to love watching as the snow melted and made little streams in the ground. I also like it because it’s (usually) perfect weather, not too hot not too cold, and it leads to summer!
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, The Royal Tenenbaums, Clueless, Grizzly man (yes it’s sad but it’s still a really good movie), Shrek, Traffic. I’m super deep,ya’ll. I’m also more of a TV person.
Dishes. They. Never. End!
I like both it just depends on what i’m in the mood for/ if I need caffeine.
The last book I read was Catching Fire, the 2nd Hunger Games book. The book was ok. I liked the first book a lot more. I’m not a huge fan of Peeta which makes the 2nd book a little irritating (trying not to give away anything). I’d recommend it if you read the first book and liked it, but I’d definitely not as good. Hopefully the 3rd book will be better, when i finally get it from the library. I just watched Battle Royale and realized how much it’s similar to hunger games, except no one in hunger games kills themselves. Battle Royale (the movie) was gory but not very scary, a lot of the fight scenes looked choreographed which kinda took you out of the movie and the writing was pretty bad. But it was an interesting movie. I’d recommend it too, you can watch it on netflix.
Barbie anything, I was really into barbie. My favorite Christmas present was a barbie dream house, I still have it.
probably just not exercising as much as I should.
1. What are your top 5 favorite books?
2. If you were an animal what animal would you be?
3 How would you describe your style in a word or phrase.
4. what’s your favorite sport?
5. what’s your favorite childhood memory?
6.what are the first 10 songs that come on when you put your ipod/ itunes on shuffle?
7.(stealing from Beth’s list) what are your top 5 movies?
8. do you have any fears/phobias? what are they and why?
9. what’s something about you that would surprise us?
10. what’s your biggest pet peeve?
11. (stealing from Beth’s list again) if you could go anywhere in the world where would you go and why?
I’m not going to tag anyone but if you want to join in please do so and let me know! I’d love to see your answers!
Can you believe it’s almost September? seems like summer just flew by. As sad as I am to see the warm weather slowly fade I am excited for a new season. This season has me particularly excited as many of it’s trends are a bit edgier and things I wouldn’t normally wear but have always wanted to add an element of to my wardrobe. Below are the four trends I’m obsessed with this season:
1. Leather Skirts: I’ve been kind of obsessed with leather this season and it all started when I saw a leather skirt on Asos. The Asos one is currently out in black and is a tad expensive so I’m toying with the idea of getting one from leathercult.com or going the affordable route and getting a faux leather skirt from somewhere. I’m leaning towards the former, but we’ll see. I love the look of the pleated skirt as well as the pencil skirt. I think a leather pencil skirt could be easily thrifted so I’m keeping a look out for those in the thrifts, but I’m more skeptical about the pleated version that i’m obsessed with so I may buy one new.
2. Chunky Knits: I’m currently in love of the look of oversized knits with skinny pants. I already have some cardigans and sweaters I know will work well with this trend. Luckily this is also a super easy trend to thrift. So, I’ve been searching the thrift stores for some and know i’ll find some great sweaters soon.
3. Lady Blouses: I’ve never really been one for blouses, but I’m kind of in love with them now. They work well with pants and skirts and sort of bring a aire of sophistication to any look (in my opinon). I have a few blouses I’ve thrifted that will work for this trend, will keep looking for blouses at thrift stores, and may buy a few new ones as well.
4. Skinny Pants: After a season of flouncy skirts and dresses I find myself craving structure and pants. I love these skinny trousers that are hot this season. I love the more modern twist on a wardrobe staple and plan to add a few to my wardrobe.This is harder to thrift so I think I’ll end up buying most of these new.
|2012 US Gymnastics Olympic Team (Source)|
4. Megan Draper’s Style. I know Mad Men ended last month, but I never got around to doing and end of season post so this will have to suffice. This season we got to actually learn more about Megan and we also got to see her awesome style. Megan’s style is very mod and very cool. Anyway here are a few of my favorite Megan outfits:
|* All images via Pinterest, Google and AMC|
5. 90’s R&B. I watched VH1’s 40 greatest R&B songs of the 90’s countdown ( you can see the list here) a few days ago and now I’ve been having a serious craving for nothing but 90’s R&B. I’m in the middle of making a playlist on itunes and downloading some of the songs. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Opening Ceremony. London 2012 had the incredibly difficult task of following the Beijing opening ceremony, probably one of the best in recent history. Honestly the opening ceremony was just OK for me. Though I was happy to see a multiracial family, during the British music segment, that doesn’t happen as often as you’d think. I was kind of hoping for a spice girl cameo during the music part but got over the lack of spice girl-ness when they showed Amy Winehouse. The Queen/ James bond video was pretty sweet too.
2. Jordyn Wieber doesn’t make all-around. My heart broke for Jordyn when a few points kept her from even being able to compete for all-around gold. I suppose that’s the olympics but they should really re-think that rule since the 4th best gymnast (in the qualifying) and reining world champion isn’t able to compete because she’s on a strong team and made some minor mistakes. phooey. No images because it’s just too sad to show again.
3. U.S. Men disappoint. I had high hopes for the U.S. men’s team and could barely watch as mistake after mistake slowly crushed their Olympic medal dreams. Hopefully some of the members of this relatively young team will be able to comeback in 2016, but it’s just heartbreaking to watch. I was almost glad they stopped showing them after the vault as it was just so painful. Though I still think we should have seen the rest of their events. Way to cheer on the home team, NBC.
4. Ryan Lochte’s grill. I mean really Lochte? really? 2004 called they want their trend back. Also this article pretty much sums up all my feelings on Lochte.
5. Mckayla Maroney’s jaw-dropping vault.
|literally jaw dropping|
6. US women’s Gymnastics team gold medal. nuff said.
7. Aliya Mustafina’s eye makeup. Is it heavy? maybe. But I have to admit I kind of love it. Not too sure about the glitter hair though.
8. Gabby Douglas Wins GOLD and is the first African American woman to win the all-around!!!!! whoot!
9. Phelps wins 22nd medal, ends swimming career.
10. Very formal track and field officials. If you ever watch the track and field events all the officials on the field are always in grey dress pants and blazers. Every time I see them I think they should also be wearing top hats and manacles. They just look so out of place compared to all the athletes in their colorful uniforms, I suppose that’s the point.
11. Interesting track intros. The Jamaicans also win gold in intro creativity.
12. Usain bolt is still the fastest man in the world.
13. Serena wins gold!
14. Oscar Pistorius becomes the first double amputee to compete in the Olympics.
So what are your favorite moments of the London 2012 games so far?